Many food trucks find that they can’t keep up with demand and that customers want their food outside of truck’s scheduled stops. If you’ve determined that it’s the right time to expand your food truck business by building a permanent location, there are several challenges you may encounter when it comes to building out your new space. We’ve pulled together some tips for expanding your brand to a brick and mortar location and to help make it a smooth, successful, and rewarding experience.
Things to Remember During a Restaurant Build-Out
- Do your homework and make lists (e.g. wish list for finishes and features)
- Apply for licences early
- Budget Appropriately (Average restaurant startup cost is around $500K)
- Find an ideal, affordable location
- Be patient
- Get at least two construction bids and hire the right general contractor
- Pull together equipment specs and cut sheets
- Ask the contractor about rules and regulations that may impact space design
- Work the most efficient flow of activities into the layout
- Curate an amazing restaurant experience (be creative & stay true to your culture)
- Implement green features that increase comfort, efficiency, and cleanliness
Morning Kick: Food Truck to Restaurant with the help of Emerald Inc.
Scott & Mindy had built recognizable brand, and in 2019 they were voted best breakfast in the valley by Phoenix Magazine. Clearly, demand for their food was at an all-time high, so it was time to open a permanent location. They found the perfect spot in South Gilbert, a vacant space that used to be a restaurant, but it needed a lot of work: a new service line, major renovations in the kitchen, and more. Take a look at the photos below to see how the project turned out!
Emerald has been by our side every step of the way. So happy we chose a family owned, local company that has a team of people that we will miss seeing every day when this is all finished
We know that the transition from food truck to restaurant can be a difficult one. Yes, you can save money by doing some of the construction yourself, but with all the other things to worry about when it comes to going brick and mortar, hiring a general contractor can be a lifesaver during this process. Call us at 480-832-9808 or email us so that we can discuss how we can help you add a permanent location to your brand. Emerald Inc. will utilize our years of experience building out restaurants to ensure construction will be on time and within budget, and that your customers will be impressed by your restaurant’s look and feel.