So, you’ve determined that you have too much on your plate to manage your remodel/renovation or new-build yourself. Hiring a good general contractor to handle your tenant improvement construction will save you a lot of hassle and stress…but even the process of figuring out which general contractor to use can be daunting. We want you to be confident that you have chosen a construction partner that you can trust and will delivery high-quality results, so we’ve compiled a list of suggestions.
Contractor Selection Process Checklist
- Ask for recommendations.
- Choose a contractor that is licensed, bonded, and insured.
- Review the contractor’s portfolio/past work to ensure they are experienced in your type of project.
- Ask contractors for client references.
- Get at least two bids and compare them. Beware of low-ball bids.
- Take into consideration your priorities and get the contractor’s input (are you focused on sustainability? Is value engineering important to you?)
- Review the project space with the contractor in person and get to know them.
- Inquire about the contractor’s project management process, including how they handle scheduling, budgeting, and communication with clients. Clear and open communication is crucial to ensure that your expectations are met throughout the project.
- Check the contractor’s safety record and ensure they adhere to all safety regulations and standards. A commitment to safety not only protects workers but also reduces the likelihood of accidents and project delays.
If you think you’ve finally found the general contractor that will help you be the most successful with your construction project, you may be wondering what the next step is. Don’t forget to thoroughly review the contract to make sure it extensively covers all aspects of the project, asking for revisions if necessary. Make sure the contract explicitly spells out the terms for timelines, change orders, guarantees, warranties, etc.
Emerald Inc. has a proven track record of getting commercial construction projects done in time and within budget– we would be happy to help out with your project, no matter what stage you are at. Call us at 480-832-9808 or email us today.