2021 Paint Colors of the Year
If you’re looking for color inspiration, you’re in the right place! We covered commercial space color trends in a recent post, but this entry focuses specifically on colors to watch out for in 2021. Each year, major paint brands put out their “color(s) of the year” and/or a color palette of the year that includes a variety of colors they recommend. With 2020 having been such a stressful year, it’s no surprise that going into 2021 we are seeing a lot of muted colors, earthy greens and browns, calming blues, grayish purples, and desaturated reds.
Why Are Paint Colors Important?
Color is a big part of customers’ first impression of a business because it has a significant impact on look and feel. Color can help make a statement and give employees a boost of energy and positive morale. Investing in new paint is wise because your space’s appearance will contribute to its success. Rather than using neutral colors simply to fit in, businesses can benefit from using paint to stand out and draw attention to their building, services, and products. The following are examples of how certain colors can help: yellow evokes happiness, green is calming, red brings energy, and blue stimulates productivity.
Sherwin Williams: Urbane Bronze
Sherwin Williams has selected a nature-inspired hue that evokes a sense of calm while still being a bold choice. This color can help ground a room through its warmth and serenity. It pairs well with warm neutrals, whites, modern greens, and natural materials.
PPG has opted for a trio of colors to represent 2021. This year they are focusing on hues that are centered on mindfulness, comfort, compassion, and optimism. Transcend is an earthy and nostalgic neutral, big cypress is a comforting reddish-brown color, and misty aqua is a fresh blue.
Glidden: Aqua Fiesta
Glidden’s 2021 Color of the year is Aqua Fiesta: a fresh, cheerful aquamarine that can help brighten up lobbys, service lines, bathrooms, or kitchens.
Benjamin Moore’s color of the year is Aegean Teal, a balanced, harmonious, and soothing blue. They have also selected some accompanying hues as their 2021 palette that they describe as comforting, sunbaked, and warm.
Valspar, like the other paint brands we’ve covered, is recommending colors for 2021 that make you feel cozy and comfortable.
How To Choose Paint Colors For Your Space
We’ve pulled together some tips for selecting the best hues for your retail shop, restaurant, office, warehouse, or healthcare facility.
- Align color choices with marketing goals. While neutral paint helps draw in professional clientele, more colorful choices can help attract younger customers.
- Consider your brand colors, your overall décor, and identify colors that pair well with your logo, furniture, and flooring.
- If you need low maintenance colors that are forgiving of scuffs/fingerprints, choose darker tones in a satin finish and avoid high-gloss, light paints.
- Use a color wheel to find complimentary colors and also consider tints of those two colors.
- Choose your color(s) based on the actions/moods you want to elicit
- Using The 60-30-10 rule that calls for 60% of a room being the dominant color, 30% as the secondary color, and 10% as the accent color.
- Factor in your location/region. Certain districts like historical areas may have color requirements.
- Base colors on the type of business:
- In a medical or dental office, you probably want to choose peaceful colors like neutrals or blues rather than using colors such as yellow and red which might cause patients to feel nervous/upset.
- It is common to use vibrant colors in food and retail shops because they may help evoke a selling response. Consider what you are selling and match colors tones to your product.
Emerald Inc. can assist you in creating a custom space that is unique and memorable, one that will keep visitors coming back, and creates feelings of contentment in employees. We’ll meet with you to discuss what type of atmosphere you want your space to have and how to make it the most successful. Email us today or call us at 480-832-9808 to start designing your space and get an idea of what your construction costs will be.