2023 Paint Colors of The Year
For 2023, we are seeing a partial shift back from the green-dominant color palette of 2022 to the muted colors we saw back in 2021. In fact, many of the colors of the year for this year are striving to be the “new neutrals”, or a creative spin on the beiges and grays of the past. In addition to these modern, neutral alternatives, we are also seeing hues that we would classify as “fresh”– colors that will inspire a bright, clean feeling. Whether you are looking to refresh your restaurant, office, or any other type of commercial space, you are sure to find one or more paint colors that will work wonders for your space in this guide to 2023’s paint colors of the year.
Why Are Paint Colors Important?
Imagine you walk into a med-spa for a relaxing massage and you are greeted by neon green and yellow walls– would you feel a sense of calm, or a jarring feeling? The wrong color could be sending a confusing or distracting message to visitors. It may also stress out employees that are present in that environment for eight-plus hours per day. Whereas, a color that matches the brand and environment a company wants to convey can do the exact opposite and create a harmonious experience for customers and employees.
Sherwin Williams: Redend Point
Sherwin Williams color of the year pick for 2023, Redend Point, is a color they describe as warm, intriguing, calming, and soulful-yet-subtle. It should pair well with other warm, earthy hues. Redend point might be a good color choice for your space if you are looking for a minimal and cozy backdrop.
Photo via https://www.sherwin-williams.com/en-us/color-of-the-year-2023
Behr: Blank Canvas
Behr’s 2023 color of the year, Blank Canvas, creates a welcoming atmosphere for entries and hallways. It also can bring a crisp, fresh feeling to kitchen spaces. Blank canvas is a great option for those looking to bring a bright, modern feel to their space. Blank canvas pairs well with dark, muted greens and blues, and with light or dark grays.
Photo via https://www.behr.com/consumer/inspiration/2023-coty/
Sherwin Williams HGTV (Lowes): Vintage Homestead
For 2023, Sherwin Willams HGTV has selected 10 colors that make up their Vintage Homestead Collection. This collection contains a variety of hues that offers versatile options for whatever feeling you are trying to evoke in your space. Sherwin Williams HGTV has designated “Darkroom” as their official color of the year. Their website states that Darkroom is “inspired by the desire to craft a comfortable, yet elegant and romantic home. This alluring black is a classic for heritage interiors, yet modernly retro for a throwback inspired aesthetic. It’s a new neutral that creates dimension.”
Photo via https://www.hgtvhomebysherwinwilliams.com/en/design-help/color-collections/2023-color-collection-of-the-year
PPG: Vining Ivy
PPG’s Vining Ivy has a deep aqua/turquoise hue. It should work well in any interior or exterior space, and pairs well with wood that has deeper tones and warm metal. Other words PPG uses to describe this color: enchanting, rejuvenating, and soothing. (Photos via https://www.ppgpaints.com/2023-coty)
Glidden: Trending Colors
For 2023 Glidden presents what they consider to be the trending colors, which reflect the “desire to get back to ‘normal’ “. These colors are intended to create a cozy and welcoming environment, as well as a cool, modern look.
Photo via https://www.glidden.com/trends
Benjamin Moore: Raspberry Blush
In addition to presenting Raspberry Blush as their color of the year for 2023, Benjamin Moore has also selected a “Color Trends 2023” palette. This palette contains a good variety of colors that they hope will offer inspiration and creativity. These unique colors could be used in your space to help push it beyond a traditional look, giving it more personality that shines.
Photo via https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/color-of-the-year-2023
Valspar, rather than choose just one color, recommends multiple hues each year for their colors of the year. For 2023, they have selected 12 new hues that are comfortable, joyous, and beautiful.
Photo via https://www.valspar.com/en/colors/colors-of-the-year
Tips For Choosing Colors For Your Space
- Align color choices with marketing goals. While neutral paint helps draw in professional clientele, more colorful choices can help attract younger customers.
- Consider your brand colors, your overall décor, and identify colors that pair well with your logo, furniture, and flooring.
- If you need low maintenance colors that are forgiving of scuffs/fingerprints, choose darker tones in a satin finish and avoid high-gloss, light paints.
- Use a color wheel to find complimentary colors and also consider tints of those two colors.
- Choose your color(s) based on the actions/moods you want to elicit
- Using The 60-30-10 rule that calls for 60% of a room being the dominant color, 30% as the secondary color, and 10% as the accent color.
- Factor in your location/region. Certain districts like historical areas may have color requirements.
- Base colors on the type of business:
- In a medical or dental office, you probably want to choose peaceful colors like neutrals or blues rather than using colors such as yellow and red which might cause patients to feel nervous/upset.
- It is common to use vibrant colors in food and retail shops because they may help evoke a selling response. Consider what you are selling and match colors tones to your product.
Emerald Inc. can assist you in creating a custom space that is unique and memorable, one that will keep visitors coming back, and creates feelings of contentment in employees. We’ll meet with you to discuss what type of atmosphere you want your space to have and how to make it the most successful. Email us today or call us at 480-832-9808 to start designing your space and get an idea of what your construction costs will be.